Today there’s no reason to live with a smile you don’t like to see in the mirror every morning. Dr. Winters can give your smile a makeover. A smile makeover uses the latest techniques in cosmetic dentistry to give you a perfect smile.
What are the goals of a smile makeover?
A big part of every smile makeover with Dr. Winters is finding what you like and what you hate about your smile. There isn’t a set group of procedures; everything we do is based on your unique situation.
These are areas Dr. Winters will address with your smile makeover planning:
- Alignment and spacing — A smile makeover doesn’t address serious alignment issues that would require orthodontic treatment. But we do target problems such as slightly crooked teeth, gaps between teeth, and misshapen teeth. Porcelain veneers can do an amazing job making these problems.
- Missing teeth — Replacing missing teeth doesn’t qualify as truly “cosmetic,” but this is surely a part of a cosmetic upgrade for your smile. If you’re missing a tooth or two, Dr. Winters believes dental implants are far and away the best replacement option. If you’re missing a series of teeth a bridge, or even a partial denture, can be used.
- Tooth color — Every smile makeover at The Hills Dental Spa includes teeth whitening. It’s usually our first procedure because whitening returns your teeth to their natural whiteness. From there we can match other pieces of the puzzle, such as porcelain veneers, to your natural, whitened tooth color. If your teeth are stained beneath the enamel, possibly from a reaction to tetracycline as a child, we can cover the stained fronts with porcelain veneers.
- Balance — A balanced smile is a good-looking smile. If you have an overly gummy smile, it can be the only thing a person talking with you notices. Dr. Winters uses a diode laser to recontour your gums to lengthen your teeth (visually). Otherwise, we’ll fix or cover chips and cracks in your teeth with dental bonding, porcelain veneers, or porcelain crowns.
Would I be a good candidate for a smile makeover?
No one has a perfectly natural smile. There isn’t a threshold to qualify for a smile makeover with Dr. Winters; it depends on your goals. One requirement is that your basic oral health is good. Our smile makeovers involve various cosmetic fixes to your smile. Serious oral health problems such as tooth decay, missing the majority or all of your teeth, and gum disease have to be dealt with before any smile makeover procedures can begin.
What are the benefits of a smile makeover?
What’s the value of a dazzling, balanced, beautiful smile? A smile makeover can change how easily you smile and how confident you are when you do. We don’t even realize how much we subconsciously hide issues with our teeth, such as tetracycline staining. A smile makeover will make you more confident and proud of your smile.
What are the procedures included in a smile makeover?
Every smile makeover is unique to the patient, a combination of your goals and Dr. Winters’s expertise. Together, these are the procedures that could be a part of your smile makeover:
- Teeth whitening — Using our hydrogen peroxide whitening gels, we return your teeth to their natural color, removing stains from coffee, red wine, and the passage of time.
- Porcelain veneers — These thin shells of porcelain are applied to the fronts of the teeth to give your teeth perfect symmetry and a bright white sheen. You’ll be amazed at the ability of veneers to cover issues such as gaps between teeth or deep staining.
- Tooth-colored fillings — Out with the old silver amalgam fillings, in with tooth-colored, invisible composite resin fillings.
- Gum contouring — Using a diode soft-tissue laser, Dr. Winters removes excess gum tissue, making your teeth appear longer and in proportion. The laser not only removes the unwanted tissue but also seals the cut to prevent bleeding and vastly lowers the chances of infection. Recovery is not difficult.
- Porcelain crowns — If a tooth has a deep crack or maybe has a large filling that needs replacing, the strength of the tooth is compromised. In these cases, we use a porcelain crown to overlay the entire tooth all the way down to the gumline. Crowns return full strength to a tooth and can be used to change the overall shape of the tooth.
- Dental bonding — For small chips or subtle changes in one or more teeth, we may use dental bonding. Bonding uses composite resin that is painted on in thin layers and then cured to cover imperfections or change the shape of a tooth. Bonding isn’t a substitute for a full set of porcelain veneers, but it can address smaller issues with a beautiful end-result.
- Dental implants — Dr. Winters is a big fan of dental implants as the best method for tooth replacement. Implants feature a titanium implant that is screwed down into the jawbone. The jawbone then grows around the implant, fully incorporating it. A post is attached to the implant with a porcelain false tooth atop that. Implants function exactly like a natural tooth.
What is the process of getting a smile makeover? How long does it take?
How we handle your smile makeover is dependent on your unique needs. Most of these procedures are immediate and may be combined in a single appointment. Thanks to our CEREC system at The Hills Dental Spa, we are able to place crowns in a single office visit. Porcelain veneers require a second appointment, as we have a dental lab fabricate the porcelain shells. If dental implants are a part of your makeover, they take up to six months or so from start to finish. Other than implants, in most cases a smile makeover can usually be accomplished in two appointments. Dr. Winters will discuss your possible time frame during your consultation.
Smile Makeover Before & After Transformation
What is recovery like after a smile makeover?
With most of these procedures, there isn’t any recovery. Dental implants and gum contouring are the exceptions. Placing an implant requires a couple of recovery periods where your gums need to heal and you’ll eat a soft diet. Gum contouring will require a short recovery. Otherwise, procedures such as applying veneers or crowns or whitening your teeth have no recovery.
Read More Smile Makeover FAQs
Schedule Your Consultation Today
If you're interested in learning more about smile makeovers please contact us for a consultation at 512-347-0044 or fill out our contact us form. We will discuss your needs and concerns, and determine your best course of action.