After having dental implants placed, patients can expect that they may have some changes in their diet temporarily. This is perfectly normal during the recovery and healing process. Drs. Kevin Winters and Kory Grahl of The Hills Dental Spa Cosmetic and Family Dentistry can educate patients on some of the foods and beverages to avoid, as they can be detrimental to the healing process, and discuss with dental implant patients more appropriate foods to enjoy during this time.
What foods should I avoid eating after having dental implants placed?
During the recovery period following oral surgery, patients should pay close attention to the foods they are eating to avoid those that may negatively affect the natural healing process and cause setbacks or complications. Dental implants need time to fuse with the bone during the process called osseointegration, which means that excess force should not be applied to dental implants immediately after they have been placed—and a short time after. Some foods to avoid may include
- Hard foods, including peanuts, pretzels, candy, and harder, crunchier vegetables
- Chewy foods, including taffies, gummies, chewing gum, bread rolls, and salads
- Fragmented foods, including potato chips, popcorn, and sunflower seeds
- Hot foods and beverages, including coffee, hot chocolate, and warm teas
Instead, Drs. Kevin Winters and Kory Grahl encourage patients to consider some of the following choices during the recovery period to add to their diet:
- Grains and starches, including soft cereals, oatmeal, noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes
- Soft fruits and vegetables, including berries, bananas, melons, and steamed vegatbales
- Protein, including yogurt, milk, fish, and eggs
- Water, to help flush the system of remaining sedation the days after the appointment, and continually for overall hydration and health
Patients who have had dental implants placed will often be provided with aftercare instructions on how to care for their smile during this time, and with added recommendations for foods and beverages to consume for a few weeks following surgery.
Are you looking to schedule an appointment for dental implants?
Contact The Hills Dental Spa Cosmetic and Family Dentistry today of Austin, TX. The office is located at 6836 Bee Cave Road, Building 1, Suite 300 and can be reached by calling (737) 248-0673.