One of every ten American adults is likely to get some form of gum disease by the time they’re sixty-four years old. At The Hills Dental Spa in Austin, we want all our patients to dodge this bullet and enjoy excellent dental health!
We take gum disease very seriously. It is a leading cause of tooth loss, and is associated with health issues like diabetes and heart disease. So brush and floss your teeth every day – twice a day, in fact. If you don’t, your chances of getting gum disease increase.
Other risk factors for gum disease include:
- Tobacco use. Health experts say that tobacco is one of the most significant risk factors for getting gum disease. If you don’t smoke, don’t start, and if you do smoke (or chew), quit.
- Genetics. It appears some people are genetically predisposed to gum disease. Even when they take great care of their teeth, such people may be more likely to get it. If you think it runs in your family, don’t despair. A genetic test can confirm it, even if you aren’t showing any signs. Getting early intervention treatment may help.
- Stress is another risk factor for gum disease. Stress may make it more difficult for the body to fight off infection.
- Lifestyle factors. Poor nutrition and teeth grinding or clenching can also put you at greater risk of developing gum disease.
- Medications. Certain medications can affect your oral health and make you more prone to gum disease. These include some oral contraceptives, anti-depressants, and heart medications. If you have any concerns, ask us at your next appointment.
If you are showing any signs of gum disease at all, such as bleeding when you brush your teeth, let us know at The Hills Dental Spa in Austin. We help our patients maintain healthy smiles. Other services include cosmetic dentistry. Schedule an appointment with us today.
Contact The Hills Dental Spa:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):